Review: The Invasion of the Tearling

Saturday, May 28, 2016


Following the actions of Queen Kelsea Glynn in the Queen of the Tearling, the dreaded Queen of Mortmesne invades. In addition to dealing with preparations for the invasion, Kelsea has to come to terms with startling changes to her own self, seemingly an effect of the twin sapphires. The magic of the sapphires not only drastically changes Kelsea’s appearance and temperament, but reveals to her the life of a Pre-Crossing woman named Lily Mahew. Kelsea believes these visions may help her against the Red Queen. 

This sequel to Erika Johansen’s The Queen of the Tearling, came out June 9th 2015. I bought the book for my sister’s birthday last September and patiently waited for her to finish it so she could lend it to me. But since my sister is the mother of two toddlers the wait was longer than anticipated! I finally finished the book earlier this month and I really enjoyed it. Like the first book, The Queen of the Tearling, it took a while to get into it due to the slow world building, but by the middle of the book I was hooked! At first I disliked Lily’s storyline; it reminded me of Margret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, a book I did not particularly enjoy reading at school, but as I continued to read I found I was looking forward to Lily’s POV and in the end it really added to the spectacular ending. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe