Book to Movie Wish List Tag

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

5 book to movie adaptations I would like to see:


5. Graceling by Kristen Cashore
Graceling would be such an amazing movie! It is action packed with a strong female lead and a sinister villain. A live action version be spectacular.  Poppy Drayton would make a great Katsa. 



4. Ella Enchanted
Yes, I realize the book was made into a movie with Anne Hathaway in the early 2000s but for me it was never one of my favourites. Ella Enchanted was a beautiful, touching book and the silly, musical film version ruined it for me. I would like a remake true to the book with a clever Ella who of tends saves prince Char from danger (the scene where she tricks the ogres is so amazing). 



3. The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones
Next to J.K. Rowling and Tamora Pierce, Diana Wynne Jones is on top of the list of my favourite authors. I love all of her books but the Chrestomanci series in particular stand apart for me. I think Disney or Dreamworks would do a great job bringing the nine-life enchanter to life. I would start with the Lives of Christopher Chant, the story of how the present Chrestomanci came to be, how he discovered his lives and all the trouble he caused as a boy. A live action version would be great but I have had trouble finding the perfect actor to embody Christopher and think it is easier to draw the ideal than to find him in nature!



2. The  Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
To be fair, there has been a film adaptation of one of these books, Disney’s the Black Cauldron. The movie combines the first book The Book of Three with the second book The Black Cauldron in this animated film. It is a good, if a little obscure, Disney movie and I like it but for me it has one flaw, Eilonwy. The first time my siblings and I watched the movie we were quite young and were terrified by the Horned King but loved Gurgi and the princess. She looks like a standard Disney princess with her long blond hair and pink dress. When I read the Prydain Chronicles for the first time when I was 11 years old, I was delighted to find that Princess Eilonwy was in fact a redhead! While I was growing up princesses were always blonde, sometimes brunettes, but rarely ginger and I felt cheated that Disney chose to depict her as a blonde. Since I was 13 I have been dreaming of a live-action version of the Prydain Chronicles, reminiscent of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films, with an Eilonwy with fiery red hair that befitted my imagination.  Lately I have been thinking that Eleanor Tomlinson would do a good job. 





1.  All the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce
Tamora Pierce has been my favourite author forever and I have dreamed of a film version of her books for just as long. The large cast of characters and fantastical creatures may be difficult and expensive for  a live action film so I think that Tamora’s many series set in Tortall,  the Song of the Lioness, Immortals, Protector of the Small, Tricker’s, and Beka Cooper, would translate well into an animated television series. This idea first came to me when I noted similarities between the show Redwall to Tamora’s alternate series set in Emelan (the Circle of Magic and the Circle Opens). An animated series would grow with her books that span a great deal of time, seeing characters grow from children to adults with children of their own. Disney style or even anime, Tamora Pierce’s books would make a very addicting and satisfying show!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe